Cycling Related Links
Below are links to various cycling related websites and information. Let us know if there is anything else that should be listed or updated.
Organizations and Clubs
- League of American Bicyclists—“To promote bicycling for fun, fitness and transportation and work through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly America.”
- Virginia Bicycling Federation—The unified voice of Virginia bicyclists
- Rails-to-Trails Conservancy—“Creating a nationwide network of trails from former rail lines and connecting corridors to build healthier places for healthier people.”
- Commonwealth Transportation Board—The CTB allocates highway funding to specific projects, locates routes and provides funding for airports, seaports and public transportation.
- Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals—A professional membership organization that promotes excellence in the emerging professional discipline of pedestrian and bicycle transportation.
- Bikes Belong—A national coalition of bicycle suppliers and retailers working together to put more people on bicycles more often.
- National Center for Bicycling & Walking—“Our mission is to create bicycle-friendly and walkable communities.”
- Alliance for Biking and Walking—A national coalition of state and local bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations working in unison to break down the barriers to safe bicycling and walking in North American communities.
- CyclingCentralVa.org-Site contains forums dealing with cycling topics (particularly mountain bike trails and riding) in the Central Virginia area.
- RATS–Richmond Area Tandem Society– The local tandem group has been around for years, and has about 30 tandem-teams that organize (pretty informally), but keeps track of everything tandem in the area. For more information, contact the group via the links on the Yahoo Groups page: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rats2/info.
Bike Routes, Trails and Maps
- Adventure Cycling– Their “…mission is to inspire people of all ages to travel by bicycle.” They “…help cyclists explore the landscapes and history of America for fitness, fun, and self-discovery.” They offer tours, routes and maps.
- Pedaling.com– Free Self Guided Road Bike Routes and Mountain Bike Trails including Maps, Cue Sheets and Trail descriptions. Resources for local Bicycle Shops, Bike Safety Information and Community Bulletin Board for Cyclist to share trail, road and Cross Country Bike Trip Knowledge. Information about Guided Bicycle Tours, Cycling Gear and Bicycles.
Biking Apps, Trackers and Accessories
- Biking Apps, Trackers and Accessories– a link posted 9/30/2015.
- How to Fix a Flat While on the Road– A less than 3 minute long video that shows you how it’s done.
- Fix a Flat Bike Tire– Another video (5 minutes long) showing you how to do it.
- Bicycling Street Smarts—An online version of a 48-page manual that teaches safe bicycling techniques on public roads and streets.
- Effective Cycling—The basic principles of John Forester’s Effective Cycling philosphy.
- Effective Cycling Instructor’s Manual (pdf)—the companion volume to the book Effective Cycling, containing the program for teaching Effective Cycling at all levels.
- League of Illinois Bicyclists bicycle driver video Share the Road: Same Road, Same Rules, Same Rights with Robbie Ventura, the page includes a link to teacher materials. Video is used in Illinois high schools and private driver education programs.
- North Carolina Coalition for Bicycle Driving—a grass-roots organization dedicated to advancing public understanding of the principles of vehicular-style bicycle driving, and incorporating these principles into public policy.
- Thirty-one Ways to Promote Bicycling—From the Bicycle Alliance of Washington State – Promoting bicycling for everyday transportation through education and advocacy
- Bicycle Safety video produced by the League of American Bicyclists and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This is an educational video on safely driving, fitting and maintaining a bicycle.
- Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Research—A U.S. Dept. of Transportation site that provides information on issues and research related to improving pedestrian and bicyclist (pedalcyclist) safety.
- Bike Safety Guide – Page of links…
- VDOT 2008 Bike Count locations—Counts were conducted in spring and summer of 2008. Video was also captured during the counts.
- VDOT Bike Map—Published in November, 2006, it is a generalized map of major routes in the state. Free copies are available from VDOT. The paper map can be ordered or
download side 1 or side 2.
- VDOT Bike Policy (pdf) —Commits VDOT to routinely accommodate bicycling and walking as fundamental travel modes
- VDOT Bicycle Program—VDOT has a designated State Bicycle and Pedestrian Coordinator to oversee and coordinate activities related to the program for the Department.
- VDOT Hotline—Report unsafe road conditions, equipment malfunctions, request trash removal, etc. The telephone number is 703-383-VDOT (703-383-8368). Or use the online report form.
- Virginia Bicycle Laws—VDOT summary of the laws, with references to the Virginia Code at the bottom of the page
- Design Speed, Operating Speed, and Posted Speed Practices (PDF)—Transportation Research Board document.
- FHWA Course on Bike Ped Trans (large PDF)—Good overview of bicycling in the U.S. circa late 1990’s.
- Road Hierarchy—from Wikipedia: freeways, arterials, collectors, and local roads.
- Segregated Cycle Facilities—Wikipedia article on the various arguments for and against riding on trails and other segregated cycling facilities.
- Transportation Enhancement info
- Univ. of Arizona Bicycle Page—Includes bicycle safety videos, campus bike map, and bicycle parking and traffic regulations.
- Vehicular Cycling—Wikipedia article on the arguments for and against on-road cycling.
- Whose Roads?—Defining Bicyclists’ and Pedestrians’ Right to Use Public Roadways—published by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute. Contains good info on the myth that motorists pay for roads and bicyclists don’t.